The plot seems simple. A man becomes obsessed over the number 23. In actuality it’s deeper than that. But honestly, I’d prefer if it wasn’t. The other plot is about the character as some detective, and has this death obsessed girlfriend. I found this part of the movie to be absolutely dreadful. The movie would be much shorter and much more enjoyable if it stayed away from the side story.
The main story I found to be … okay. Jim Carrey’s performance was good, but nothing special. He really got over inflated over the role though, he started trying to do all serious film, and damn near killed his career. He’s still trying to recover.
The movie prides itself on being a smart mystery with a great plot twist. None of those things are true. It is true that the movie has a plot twist, but I don’t there is anyone who didn’t see it coming. The movie ends with plot holes. I mean a lot of plot holes. I mean a lot of plot holes! There are soooooo many things that don’t add up or make sense. Not because the movie is mysterious, but just because there is a genuine lapse of time in the life of this character, that doesn’t make any sense.
The atmosphere and lighting can be very good at points, but can also be terrible. The movie goes overboard on darkness, quite a bit.
The character is always finding the number 23 all over the place. Some of the way’s he finds it can be really convoluted and are just plain stupid.
The movie is definitely bad, but the movie is often proclaimed as one of the worst ever made. I do not think that is true. It’s not good, but I found it to be entertaining enough. It’s not nearly as bad as a lot of people say but still nothing too good.
And now I leave you with 10 instances of ridiculous ways to find “The Number 23“
1. At the Bakery
- A house if 5 blocks away from a bakery that charges $6 for 3 muffins.
- The muffins are bran which has 4 letters
- The word four itself has 4 letters.
- 5 + 6 + 3 + 4 + 4 = 22 and all this goes into 1 sentence making 23
2. In a name
- The name Jim Carrey has 9 letters but the J and the C are capitalized so they count as 2 letter each
- C is the 3rd letter of the alphabet and J is the 10th
- 9 + 2 + 3 + 10 = 24
- The movies run time is 1 minute over 100 minutes
- 24 – 1 = 23.
3. In the movie ratings
- This movie has an 8 on rotten tomatoes
- It’s rated 6 on imdb that’s 14
- 14 + 10 – 1 = 23 (I assure you they are really this bad)
4. 23 is a number
5. In the spelling
- When you spell out “twenty three” you get 11 letters
- 23 ends with 3
- 11 * 3 = 33
- 23 starts with a 2 in the tens position meaning 20. in the 33 the tens position contains a 3 meaning 30. We change the 3 to a two from 23 and end with 23.
6. In a date
- Jim Carrey was 45 when the movie came out in 2007
- His first television appearance was at the age of 18 in 1980
- 45 – 18 = 27
- The number of years between 1980 and 2007 is 27
- Jim Carrey has won 40 awards and been nominated for another 67
- 67 – 40 = 27
- Maybe they should make a sequel called the number 27 where Jim Carrey just Google’s himself for an hour and a half.
7. In simple addition
- This is number 7 on the list
- 1 + 2 + 3 + 4 + 5 + 6 + 7 = 28 – 7 = 21
- There are 2 more numbers before the final one
- 21 + 2 = 23.
8. In movie titles
- “Friday the 13th” + “se7en” + “9” + “The 6th Day” = “The number 23”
9. On my blog
- This is review #23 for my month of horror reviews
- Jim Carrey has done 23 interviews, 29 articles and 33 magazines. and 2 biographies
- There are two 2’s and two 3’s 23.
10. Everywhere you look
- Jim Carrey has 50 titles on his filmography + 8 writing credits + 12 soundtrack credits + 3 producer credits + 1 crew credit + 3 thanks + 47 archive footage credits – 155 self credits = -31
- The opposite of -31 is 13
- His height is 6’1 which is 1.87 meters
- Take away the decimals and you’re left with 6 and 1 which = 7
- 13 + 7 = 20
- He is a Capricorn which is associated with the letter E and is directly across on the star chart from Cancer which is associated with the letter W
- The symbol for Cancer is a 69
- E and W are two of the four cardinal directions
- The four cardinal directions are E,W,S,N, which is an anagram for the word news
- News was invented in 59 B.C.
- 69 – 59 is 10
- There are 12 symbols on the star sign chart 12 – 10 = 2
- This is the last on the list. The last could be thought of as ten or as 1 if you look at it in reverse chronological order. 2 + 1 + 20 = 23
- Tamara (2005) Macabre month of horror #6 (greencarbon2112.wordpress.com)
- The Mist (2007) Macabre month of horror #3 (greencarbon2112.wordpress.com)
- Drive Thru (2007) Macabre month of horror #7 (greencarbon2112.wordpress.com)
- Psycho (1998) Macabre month of horror #10 (greencarbon2112.wordpress.com)
- Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street (2007) Macabre month of horror #14 (greencarbon2112.wordpress.com)
- Boy Eats Girl (2005) Macabre month of horror #5 (greencarbon2112.wordpress.com)
- Freddy VS Jason (2003) Macabre Month of Horror #2 (greencarbon2112.wordpress.com)
- A Nightmare on Elm Street (1984) Macabre Month of Horrors #1 (greencarbon2112.wordpress.com)
- One Hour Photo (2002) Macabre Month of Horror #12 (greencarbon2112.wordpress.com)
- Alien (1979) Macabre month of horror #11 (greencarbon2112.wordpress.com)